Who else loves cucumbers?! We’re big fans of their crunch and versatility, and they really come to life in this cucumber salad with fresh dill and mint! It’s perfect for spring and summer, or when you’re looking for a light and tangy side dish!
This salad is vegan and dairy-free but SO creamy and flavorful thanks to avocado and fresh herbs! Plus, optional crispy chickpeas for texture and protein and vegan feta for saltiness! YES, please. Just 7 ingredients, 1 bowl, and 15 minutes required for this delicious dish. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make This Cucumber Salad
This 1-bowl cucumber salad starts with a tangy, rich, super simple dressing. Creamy avocado combines with rich olive oil, sweet and tangy white balsamic vinegar, plus salt and pepper for flavor.
When stirred together, it’s the perfect consistency forcoating each bite of cucumber. We tested replacing the avocado with more olive oil for ease, but it just wasn’t as good.
Next, we prepare the cucumber by scraping out the seeds with a spoon. This ensures crunchiness and prevents the flavor from being diluted by the liquid around the seeds.
Peeling the cucumber is optional, but we find peeling it in stripes is not only pretty, but also a good balance between keeping the extra fiber and preventing bitterness.
We then add the sliced cucumbers into the dressing along with fresh mint and dill (hello, spring!). Stir it all together and you’ve got a super simple side. Or, elevate it further by topping with crispy chickpeas and vegan feta. Swoon!
We hope you LOVE this cucumber salad. It’s:
Quick & easy
& Perfect for warmer weather!
It goes well as a side with nearly any main, especially Mediterranean-inspired dishes like our Kale Falafel Hummus Wraps (30 Minutes!), Baked Quinoa Black Bean Falafel, or Lemon Baked Salmon with Garlic Dill Sauce (30 Minutes!).
Or, if topping with the optional chickpeas and feta, it can work as a lighter main when splitting between two or three people.
More Spring and Summer Sides
- Easy Roasted Potato Salad with Garlic Dill Dressing
- Minty Watermelon Cucumber Salad (Vegan)
- Perfect Roasted Asparagus
- Crunchy Jicama Slaw (1 Bowl!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Cucumber Salad with Fresh Dill & Mint
- 1/4largeripe avocado*, mashed(1/4 avocado yields ~2 ½ Tbsp or 40 g mashed)
- 2Tbspolive oil(if oil-free, sub more mashed avocado)
- 3Tbspwhite balsamic vinegar*
- 1/4tsp eachsea salt and black pepper
- 2largecucumbers(2 cucumbers yield ~600-750 g or 4-5 cups sliced), peeling optional, seeds scraped out, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4cupfreshly chopped mint
- 1/4cupfreshly chopped dill
- 1batchCrispy Baked Chickpeas(optional // or ~1 cup store-bought crispy chickpeas)
- 1/4cupvegan feta crumbles (optional // we like Follow Your Heart brand // or sub regular feta if not vegan/dairy-free)
- If serving with crispy chickpeas (optional), prepare them at this time.
- Meanwhile, add the avocado to a large bowl and use a fork to roughly mash. Add olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper and mix to combine.
- Peeling the cucumbers is optional — we like peeling them in a stripe pattern. Cut each cucumber in half lengthwise and use a small spoon to scrape out the seeds (you can freeze these and save them for green juice and smoothies). Then cut the cucumber into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add the cucumber, mint, and dill to the bowl and mix well.
- Divide between serving plates/bowls right away and (optionally) top with crispy chickpeas and vegan feta.
- Best when fresh as the cucumber will release moisture and the avocado will turn brown if kept for more than 24 hours. Not freezer friendly.
*We tested with apple cider vinegar but preferred white balsamic vinegar because of its natural sweetness. If using apple cider vinegar, add 1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup to match the sweetness of white balsamic vinegar.
*Inspired by the local cucumber salad at Bar Acuda in Hawaii.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.