Is there ever such a thing as too much tomato soup? The answer is no. And most definitely not when there are grilled cheese sandwiches around.
This super garlicky version has coconut milk for dairy-free creaminess, red pepper flakes for a little kick, and smashed white beans for fiber and satisfaction. It’s balanced, warming, and comes together in just 30 minutes with 1 pot and 10 ingredients. Let’s make soup!
We’ve previously shared versions of tomato soup with basil, roasted red peppers, and spicy chipotle peppers, but this latest recipe has a new twist: white beans and LOTS of garlic! The inspiration came from a highly-rated New York Times recipe that we adjusted to make dairy-free, a little spicy, thicker, and super balanced.
How to Make White Bean Tomato Soup
It all starts with smashingTEN cloves of garlic (using the bottom of a heavy pan, which releases their flavor). This method is way faster than chopping, meaning more garlic, less work — that’s our jam!
We sauté the garlic in olive oil to soften it and infuse the oil with flavor. Then we add red pepper flakes for a little heat and tomato paste for richness, sautéing to enhance its natural sweetness.
Next come the white beans for fiber and protein, plus crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth (or water), and salt.
We let it simmer for 15-20 minutes for the flavors to develop, then smash just some of the white beans to thicken the soup and create textural variability.
The remaining ingredients are maple syrup for balancing the acidity of the tomatoes and coconut milk for a creamy finish. We also love garnishing with vegan parmesan cheese for a rich and salty touch.
We hope you LOVE this white bean tomato soup! It’s:
A little spicy
Quick & easy
& SO comforting!
It would also pair nicely with a salad or roasted vegetables. Try it with our Perfect Roasted Asparagus, 5-Minute Green Salad with No-Mix Tahini Dressing, or Vegan Ricotta & Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Salad.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
- Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 1-Pot Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup (Classic or Immune-Boosting!)
- Warming Red Lentil Sweet Potato Soup (Instant Pot!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Super Garlicky Tomato Soup with Smashed White Beans
- 10medium-largegarlic cloves, peeled
- 3Tbspextra-virgin olive oil or olive oil
- 1tspred pepper flakes(omit or reduce for less heat)
- 2Tbsptomato paste(we prefer Bionaturae brand)
- 2(15-oz.)cans white beans, slightly drained(we prefer cannellini // or ~3 ½ cups cooked homemade beans)
- 1(28-oz.)can crushed tomatoes(organic when possible)
- 1cupvegetable broth(or water)
- 1/2tspsea salt(plus more to taste)
- 1-2tspmaple syrup(plus more to taste)
- 1(14-oz.)can light coconut milk*, well shaken(DIVIDED // use full-fat for richer flavor)
FOR SERVING optional
- On a cutting board, smash the peeled cloves of garlic using the bottom of a heavy skillet or pan until flat and slightly broken apart.
- To a large saucepan or pot over medium-low heat, add the olive oil then add the smashed garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly golden brown. Then add the red pepper flakes and tomato paste and stir. Cook for another few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the (slightly drained) white beans, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth or water, and salt. Bring to a low boil, then partly cover, reduce heat, and simmer until slightly thickened and fragrant — about 15-20 minutes. The longer it simmers and reduces, the richer the flavor will become.
- Use a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon to smash some of the beans (roughly half). Add the maple syrup and one quarter of the coconut milk (reserving the rest for serving) and stir.
- Season to taste, adding more maple syrup for sweetness / to balance acidity, salt to taste, red pepper flakes for heat, or coconut milk for subtle sweetness / creaminess.
- Store cooled leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.